College Quest

Health. Wealth. Love. Fun.

Will Walking Help Me Lose Belly Fat?

No one likes belly fat. It makes you feel self-conscious, it’s immediately visible to everyone you see, and it wreaks havoc with your self-image and self-esteem when beach season rolls around. Not to mention, it’s just plain bad for your health.

Man And Woman Taking A Brisk Walk On The Beach

Bust your belly fat with a brisk power walk daily!

The fact is, belly fat is actually one of the easiest types of fat for your body to break down and utilize as energy, but it takes a combination of a healthy diet and regular exercise to start seeing tangible results.

There’s no reason to live with the feelings of shame caused by belly fat, and there are plenty of easy ways to work on getting rid of that unsightly bulge around your middle.

So what kind of exercises work for belly fat? What about walking? Will walking help me lose belly fat?

Walking is actually one of the best and most efficient methods of cutting down on the weight around your midsection, though many people don’t realize that it’s really that simple. But you’ll need to eat right too, so consider following Brian Flatt’s 3 Week Diet to get the best results fast. If you’ve never heard of Flatt’s program, start by reading this 3 Week Diet review to learn what it’s all about.

Now, let’s discuss what belly fat is, and the easiest (and most relaxing) way you can go about getting rid of it.

What Is Belly Fat?

It might surprise you to find out the majority of your body fat (roughly 90%) is made up of what’s called subcutaneous fat, which is the fat layer that lies just below your skin. But the other 10% of your body fat is made up of what scientists have termed “visceral fat”, which is that unsightly fat that builds up in very specific sections of our bodies, and which nobody wants.

Belly fat is made up of this visceral fat, and it’s stored behind your abdominal wall. When you have too much belly fat, your stomach becomes larger and you develop those pesky “love handles” that we all “enjoy” so much.

How Do I Get Rid Of Belly Fat?

We asked earlier: “Will walking help me lose belly fat?” The answer is yes!

Well, belly fat (as well as the fat deposits that build up on your hips, thighs and rear end) is actually one of the easiest types of fat to get rid of. Visceral fat is quickly and easily broken down by your body and converted into energy when you engage in regular, whole-body cardiovascular exercise.

Though there’s a lot of misinformation out there, bear in mind those exercises which specifically target the stomach (such as sit-ups and crunches) actually don’t do anything to help reduce the amount of belly fat you have. They’re intended to strengthen your abdominal muscles, but to get rid of that bloated look, you’ll need to get out there and do some power walking.

The Best Way To Walk To Lose Belly Fat

Walking at a brisk pace is one of the best and most effective ways to lose belly fat. Keep a brisk pace (think power walking), and engage in the activity for at least 15-30 minutes per day.

This may seem a bit daunting, depending on your schedule and your home life, but if you can fit in a quick walk before breakfast, after dinner, or before lunch, you’ll soon notice the difference it makes.

If you weigh 180 pounds (an average weight for today’s American male), you’ll burn nearly 160 calories during the course of a moderately paced, 30-minute walk. And most of those calories will come directly out of your belly fat.

So if you’re looking for ways to shrink that stomach, get off the couch and take a stroll!

Updated: November 17, 2015 — 4:17 am
College Quest © 2014 Frontier Theme